A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Monday, March 3, 2014

That Egyptian Army AIDS Device

In part because I feel I've been snarky enough already about some recent developments in Egypt,  I deliberately decided  to avoid comment on last week's announcement by the Egyptian Military that they had developed a device that could detect and cure both AIDS and Hepatitis C without a blood test. The whole story has been unraveling ever since. Since I don't want to go into the details here for fear of being too irreverent, I'll refer you instead to this blog post at The Economist's "Pomegranate" blog, "It Gets Ever Sillier." It says what I would have said, but better.

The Economist's blog posts datelined Cairo are usually bylined "M.R." I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that their Cairo Bureau Chief is Max Rodenbeck. He grew up in Cairo (his father ran AUC Press for years) and Max wrote the wonderful Cairo: The City Victorious.

No comments: